Monday, July 29, 2013

It's about time!!!

I am so excited to share with you a new publication for teens called Philosophy Adventure.  As stated on their website, “Philosophy Adventure™ is designed to help students 6th-12th grade cultivate and defend a biblical worldview by teaching them how to write skillfully, think critically, and speak articulately as the explore the history of ideas." 
If you know me well then you know I have a passion for organizing and conducting co-ops, believing that there are many advantages to meeting at least once a week with other homeschooling families.  This curriculum, although it can be used at home by an individual, is very conducive to being used in a group setting!  In fact, I believe students will get far more out of this study if they meet together to tackle the questions asked, discuss the topics presented, and give oral reports after further research has been completed. 
By the way, if you want to know more about setting up a co-op, check out this blog!  
When I evaluate a new curriculum I ask these questions:
1. Is the product user friendly so that I can pick up the book and begin using it or does it require a lot of time and effort to understand it in order to use it?
2. Is the information necessary, interesting, and vital to my child’s education?
3. Is it affordable?
In the case of Philosophy Adventure, I would say a resounding YES to all three of these questions.  The author's goal was to make the product engaging, easy to use, and empowering and they have more-than-successfully reached those goals.  As a bonus, a chart is included to guide parents into translating the study onto a transcript, to-wit:
Another passion I have is for teaching a biblical worldview to my students and this product covers that as well.  Many parents are intimidated by the thought of teaching worldviews and philosophy, but these are two of the most important subjects to be mastered.  Instead of filling their minds with information to spit out for a test, teach them how to think, how to question, how to research, and how to discuss!!!  
We will be using this product in our spring co-op!!  You should too!


1 comment: