Friday, July 5, 2013

Welcome to Worldviews in Review

Help!  I'm drowning in a world of worldviews!!
Okay.  I hear you and I am here to help. This blog will enable you to stay connected with current worldview issues of the day.  In addition to keeping you abreast of current events, I will include book, curriculum, article, blog and movie reviews that pertain to worldview issues (pretty wide open, I know, but I will be selective with what I share).  Feel free to ask questions, make comments, or send me information that may inspire a post!
This first post will include an article that I recommend you read (but don't link to it just yet):  http://www.salon.com/2013/07/01/be_employable_study_philosophy_partner/
Nancy Pearcy, whose opinion I greatly respect, brought this article to my attention via Facebook. http://www.pearceyreport.com 
The author of the article suggests that studying philosophy is vital to a good education.  The author is Shannon Rupp.  I had to do a little investigating to discover if Shannon is a she or a he.  She's a she.  Not that it matters except that I didn't want to say "he thinks" if Shannon is a she, and she is, so I won't say he.
Having homeschooled my children for more than 27 years, I have come to realize that there are some subjects that are very important, but that are, for the most part, omitted from high school and saved for college.  Public speaking is one such subject.  We speak every single day of our lives, so why wait until college to hone that skill?  Logic is another subject I was never taught and did not learn until I learned it alongside my children.  Such an important subject, and one that can be introduced during the elementary years for goodness sake!  
And, philosophy!  This is a subject that Shannon says is vital for a good education and I agree most hardheartedly now, but I would have scoffed at this notion years ago.  Shannon even admits, "Yes, the course of study that has long been denigrated as frivolous and useless in the job market has been the part of my education that I lean on again and again. For work and everything else."  Then she further convinces you of the importance of studying philosophy.  Personally, my 5th child, Jon Jon (yes, I still call him that and he's married and expecting his first child any day) is the one who opened my eyes to the importance of studying philosophy. Right now I am in the process of reviewing a new philosophy curriculum for homeschoolers and so far I am quite excited about it.   Go ahead and subscribe so you can read all about it in an upcoming post.  
Shannon ends her blog stating that the ability to think clearly will enable someone to do whatever else it is he/she may want to do.  Her wording is better than mine so go read her blog now and after you read Shannon's blog, take a look at this book as an introduction into the Socratic method of learning:  http://www.amazon.com/Best-Things-Life-Peter-Kreeft/dp/0877849226




No comments:

Post a Comment