Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wonderful, Free, Thought Inducing Resources!!

When I find a resource that is worldview related, I want to share it with the world (or at least with my friends and the readers of my blogs).   Because I write a blog directed to homeschooling co-ops in addition this blog, I find the information shared often overlaps.  For that reason I link one blog to the other.

For those who do not have time to read the entire blog, this is the video I will be sharing and here is a link to a study guide for the video.

The resources that will be mentioned in this blog can be used at home, in a classroom, in the car, with a co-op, individually, at camp, at Sunday School (all of a sudden I feel the urge to stop and write this Dr.Seuss style . . . You can use this in a car, you can use this near and far!   

Recently a ten minute video was posted on Facebook that needs to be shared ... here and there, near and far, in the car . . . well, you get the idea.  Not only should it be shared, but it should be discussed, in depth and, for that reason I have written up a study guide to this video that I will give you for free!  Aren't I nice?  I'm trying to be intentional about living my life for the good of society, for the good of others, and for the good of the kingdom of God (go to 6:33 on the video to catch this reference).  If I did this successfully, you can access the study guide by clicking on the words!  The link to the video is here.

What is it that causes me to appreciate a resource well enough to share it?  Here are a few areas that I find important:

1.  The message is clear and succinct.
2.  The message is well presented, whether in writing or video format.
3.  The message contains information that should be pondered, discussed, and acted upon.

What resources, generally, fit this description?  I will list them below, but I will warn you that they all have something in common.  Rather, I should say, they have some one in common ... John Stonestreet.  Years ago,when John was teaching at Bryan College and working for Summit Ministries, he and I conducted worldview seminars for homeschooling families in the SE and we recommended that parents subscribe to Breakpoint, a ministry started by Chuck Colson.   Breakpoint is a great resources for keeping on top of what is going on in the world. Neither one of us realized at that time that John would become very involved in this ministry, especially after Chuck Colson's death.



John still works with Summit Ministries and Summit offers a two week leadership camp for teens that, in my opinion, should be attended by every teenager and young adult (and there are sessions for educators as well). Before Chuck passed he started a video series called "Two Minute Warnings" that John now oversees.  Here's an introduction to these videos!  In addition to Summit and Breakpoint, John has videos in the "ReEngage Series" and this is where the video was produced that caught my eye, prompting this post.   (This is the video that goes along with the study guide mentioned above.)

If you watch this video with a group, I would suggest pausing the video and discussing the points as they are made.  There is a lot to talk about in this less-than-ten-minute presentation (hence the study guide).

John Stonestreet is a favorite speaker of Summit students and homeschooling parents (and anyone else who happens to be in the audience).  He often speaks at worldview events and homeschool conferences.  If you ever have the opportunity to hear him in person, go hear him.  You will be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment